Herbert,

You and I seem to have a different problem, and as you know I started by
just reading the music in McFarlane's Scots Lute. I am about to take my
second lesson (the first was a couple of months ago, and I was instructed to
stay away from songs and just practice (p,i) with thumb under type runs. I
tried, but I'm incorrigeable. I find my right hand ring finger (a) to be my
strongest, it always wants to play - and my little finger is quite happy to
stay on the soundboard. Perhaps it is my folk guitar "pickin" experience,
rather than the classical many of you have.  But then again it may be the
difference in hand shape we each have, or the other things we've done with
our hands.

Best, Jon