Martin Shepherd wrote:
> Dear Valéry,
>
> Excellent!  Good to see you on this list again - there are now so many
> of us with the Zoom H2 we should share our experiences with this
> machine.  Which settings did you use?  What was the recording distance?
> Wonderful to hear you play with the better sound quality than on Youtube.
>
> Best wishes,
>
> Martin
>
> Valéry Sauvage wrote:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> Back on this list...
>> I'd like to present some recordings I made with my brand new zoom h2...
>> (nice machine !)
>> http://pagesperso-orange.fr/luthval/musiques/packington.mp3
>> http://pagesperso-orange.fr/luthval/musiques/what-if-a-day.mp3

Hello All,

Finally got out of the apartment to do some vocal recording with the
Zoom H2 at my church's sanctuary.

I need some more singing practice, but it shouldn't prove too painful
to listen to my version of Annabel Lee (poem by Edgar Allen Poe in
1849, so I don't think the copyright issues of the USA are going to be
a problem) set to an adapted tune of Scarborough Fair (English
traditional, in which I had to repeat the last two phrases to match up
with the usual 6 line stanzas of Annabel Lee.)  There were some other
adjustments that had to be made to get these 2 pieces working
together, but overall it's 95% or more the straight Annabel Lee.

The recording was done under the highest point of the sanctuary (15
feet to 20 feet), the Zoom H2 inserted into a mic stand (the H2 comes
with the screw on attachment) at arm's distance from me (so I could
turn on and off the Zoom H2 without moving-- as someone else has
pointed out for a convenient recording distance) using the Automatic
Gain Control (Martin, I'm going to have to rethink using that setting,
as it smooths out any dynamic range in the music one might be striving
for), in CD format (WAV, 44.1kHz, 16bit).

This is a vocal only recording.  I'm a lute hobbyist.  The demands of
real-life are bad and getting worse.  I haven't practiced my lute
since early Spring of 2007.

I was wondering if someone would consider composing a lute
accompaniment for my vocal.  I'd like to learn that accompaniment, so
it will need to be for a *very* beginning student.  I considered
strumming chords on the lute for the accompaniment, but somehow that
doesn't seem faithful to the lute.

The last restriction (as if there weren't enough already!) is that I'm
on dial-up internet without a web site to put the WAV file.  So I
would need to send it to someone's existing site if more than one
person volunteers to help me out.

Respectfully,
"The Other" Stephen Stubbs