David, Jean-Marie et les autres
There is another side to this question. Jacob Heringman speaks about it on his interview with Ed Durbrow, and also on his home site. He is often not happy with his recordings, he feels that he over monitors his playing in the recording context (he is too careful not to make mistakes and he takes less risks), and he also misses the audience to which can respond.

I saw that a year ago with Jordi Savall, the Gambist, playing Marin Marais. During the whole concert he played well, during the "bis" (encore), he played better, during the "tris", he was completely relaxed and amazingly spontaneous. I have never heard him play like it. He was clearly dialoguing with the audience, who he suddenly felt deserved of his best.

You mention LPs, and that makes me think of some Casals and Co recordings. In fact, they are probably 78s, and you can hear him singing away like a sick cow, and yet how marvellous some of those mono recordings are. I very much doubt whether there were more than three takes, there, if that. This is surely one of the reasons that some LPs are far and away superior to CDs. Although the analog format does seem to have something to do with it. When CD first came out, I noticed that there was a sort of listener's fatigue when you compared CD and LP, as though the brain was working harder to reconstruct the sound picture. On single instruments, or voices, I have also noticed this when comparing stereo and mono recordings. We all know that stereo is aimed at tricking the brain, but it seems there is some unconscious brain-work involved in merging the two images, click into mono and there is a definite drop of tension. Now I think that adding an image to digital, may somehow make us less conscious of that. We are being helped along by the picture, that gives us back some of the presence that the digital recording does seem to lack.

On this issue, Sergiu Celibidache would have certainly supported your call for video. As you know he only believed in live performance. He thought that a performance should never be repeated identically, and it was bad luck if someone missed his concert. However, finally when Video recording became a possibility, he did allow a few to be made (Since his death some other pirate recordings have appeared).

My own feelings about this issue are ambiguous. Often at a concert when I close my eyes, I seem to hear far better, and yet on one occasion I had seats very high up in the Theatre des Champs-Élysées. It was a performance of the Kuikens and Anner Bylsma. I was rather disappointed, I could hardly hear anything. Then I remembered, I had brought binoculars with me. When I used them, I suddenly could hear better. I don't know whether it was because the binoculars cut down my overall vision and my brain had less to take in, or whether I was better able to associate the movements with the sounds, and therefore became more capable of deciphering the patterns. Nevertheless, I listened to the rest of the performance through my binoculars.

Oh well, i have not mentioned lute performances, but in many concert halls for those, you had better take along binoculars and an ear- trumpet. We have the good fortune here, in Paris of having fortnightly performances of ancient music in the salon de musique of Madame de Sevigne, at the Musée Carnavalet, and I also have a monthly lute salon in a private flat once a month. Such ideal venues make recordings seem extremely pale. However, performers do frequently fluff their notes. At the private lute salon, I tell worried performers that it is ownly polite to make a few errors "pour encourager les autres".

However, these over edited recordings you have mentioned, while seeming an advantage to a performer who fears that duff note will be there for eternity, in fact, just raise the expectations of the audience to an impossible level for the concert performer. While saving yourself pain in the studio, you will just increase it in the concert hall.

In short, I think that a recording without image and performer's presence must be of the very best quality, as close to an exciting live performance, and on the edge of the performers capability, warts and all, Bon courage Jean-Marie. The great advantage to performer-listeners of the video recording (apart from the fact that it is difficult to cheat) is that we can appreciate or criticize not only what we hear, but also what we see. The stance of the performer, the position of his hands, whether we esteem he is playing the correct instrument, just see all that fun around the latest YouTube performance, or "Forqueray fiasco" for some.
Anthony