I don't think EQ will do it, the free room simulator software or the
more expensive professional versions help a little bit, but once you
lose the essential harmonics
it is difficult to replace them. When using budget mics, the main
thing is minimize the reflections. So here you need a really large
room, in a studio the sound insulation will invariably remove most of
the high frequencies.

Most lute recordings are heavily processed in addition to recording
in churches or resonant spaces, so there is a kind of artificial
standard in place.
The main effect of the reverb or churchy acoustic is to provide a
continuous bed of sound, otherwise when shifting in and out of bar
chords the sound would stop and start.
This stopping and starting of the sound reflects the way the
instrument actually sounds. And of course good players are better at
managing the differences.
The reverb/church effectively removes all or most of this aspect of
the technique.

You could say that in this regard the modern taste for lute has a
sweet tooth--and the analogy perhaps in art would be to take the Mona
Lisa and photoshop it so the colors are all really jazzed up,
saturated and vibrant.
Then the painting would look nice and kodachromy, but you would lose
the sfumato.--the integral transitional elements.
On the other hand, just like a really good restoration, a tiny hint
of sound processing might bring us back closer  in sound to the best
lutes played by the best players.
The current state of recording exists however to cover up or remove
mistakes, not to amplify the intrinsic beauty of the instrument.
Paradoxically, the very best lutes by modern makers are not always
the ones best represented in recordings. I heard a Gottlieb lute once
that had the most unbelievable sound, yet the internal resonance was
not ideal to apply reverb either as a church or with software--and
this is as it should be! That lute needed only a nice room and a
player--it would be the "Truth Lute"--beautiful yet revealing.

But it would be difficult to record that instrument and bring it into
the sugary mainstream.

dt