David, your comparison of the digital camera and the digital recorder are helpful, although I am not technologically competent enough to say just how far you can go in that direction. Evidently, the lens or microphone set the overall limit in recording quality, whatever equipment comes afterwards. Although, you can always digitally enhance a poor recording (image/sound), the quality is never quite the same, and the ease with which this can be done on digital is a danger, as much as an advantage. I fear the temptation to over tweak leads us to a sort of stereotyping and neutralization giving that bland sameness to so many recent photos and sound recordings. It doesn't much matter if everyone's holidays snaps look identical, with the sun always shining, the sky ideally blue, and everything snapped into focus, including the background; but in a music recording, if engineers all have the same ideal of room reverb, and believe we all have the same noisy hifi systems, the result is a boosted electrified lute in a halo of room echo. It is so easy to digitally remove every blemish (photos and sound), even, as you say, editing single notes on a lute recording, but in so doing, editing out all the life from the recording. Why are live recordings, with their blemishes and coughs, so much more interesting?

Meanwhile, some of us may become used to the low level lossy compressed format of Mpeg and Jpeg on computers and i-pods, but they are just convenience formats, for "note jottings" and "snap shootings" and as David says should never be "enlarged". CD is bad enough, but I think these compressed formats are actually beginning to degrade the public expectation of what a good recording or image might be.

Please remember that a good analog recording or photo is often equal and even, in some cases , well ahead in quality over digital recordings, albeit at a high price. Take an analog photo on a Linhoff plate camera, or make a lute recording on two synchronized Mono Nagra tape recorders, if you have chosen the right lens and microphone, you will find out what I mean.
http://tinyurl.com/24kfdr
Right there is the price and convenience to consider, but the high quality results this sort of equipment can attain should be the target that professional photographers and sound engineers should be aiming for.

Of course equipment is not everything. As David implies, the skill of the sound engineer in knowing how to place the microphones, and to find the best settings for the recording venue, which should mean a minimum of post recording tweaking, and so a better result even from a not so good recording system.You can even tweak the recording colour by choosing a particular mic, but you can not expect an amateur to be able to do that.

On the other hand, we have all heard those hifi recordings of second- rate orchestras, marvellous sound, but uninteresting music; a musician will no doubt prefer the appalling sound of a "Robinhood record", recorded directly from the speaker of some radio loudspeaker during a live performance of an exceptional orchestra and conductor at one of their moments of greatness.
It is good to have the best of both worlds, however.

Keep those Zoom H2s rolling, but please no H2 CDs, unless, of course, your performance has just reached that "Robin-Hood" status and you think that you may have peaked, or worse. One lutist on the French lute list has a personally made live recording of Michael Schäffer in concert (who sadly died so young), perhaps this is the sort of historic lute candidate for a Robin Hood recording?
Anthony

PS David is right to give us the minimum quality equipment for a reasonable CD or DVD quality, but I fear many will settle for this minimum quality. That is obviously why it is sometimes better to hire the competence of a sound engineer who has very good equipment and knows how to use it. Although, how many are really capable of making good lute recordings and have that sort of equipment, I sometimes doubt. Perhaps David could comment on that.

Just one other question: in the case of a digital camera all megapixels are not equal. The size of the sensor determines that too many pixels on too small a sensor will make more noise.
Is there an equivalent problem on Digital sound recordings?