Roman,

On 2008-10-24, at 14:50, Roman Turovsky wrote:
Jurek,
There is considerable difference of how music is heard by its participants
vs. how it is heard by listeners.

That's the paradox. We today removed this music from it's original milieu and put it on the modern concert platform, on which it most often creates consternation or at least sonic problems. Of course, the smaller the venue the better.

My perspicacity tells that all this ensemble music was clearly intended to be heard just by the participants, with or without very few guests. Moving this music into our typical venues renders the lute inaudible.

You mean, typical _modern_ venue, I understand. Salvation is in phonography perhaps, as the Radolt CD prompts.

One of course could bring in causa Lutz Kirchhoff's efforts, but his [athletic] approach to the lute in ensemble circumstances is not a pretty listen.

Lutz and several of us are permanently trying to find their own solution to the problem, which today is probably unsovable in 100%.

But I havn't heared any complains when a trio of a singer, lute and gamba are glorifying the Dowland's name. To be honest, to my ears the lute is almost inaudible in such setting, and discussions about poliphony of it's part or consecutive fifths is aimless. Very often even without gamba.

______

RT
----- Original Message ----- From: "Jerzy Zak" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>