To my ears rather naive, harmonically poor, but still nice to play. Like a tipical Italian Aria, invites meldic or other lute idiomatic ornamentation. But it's a splendid occasion! Is there a brave one who'd make an 11-c d-minor lute edition? It can be plain, as is the original, or ornamented - in Italian way or French. Examples are in e.g. three Weiss settings of L'Amant malheureux (Harrah, Polinski and London). And that's really HIP.
Jurek
__________

On 2008-10-24, at 15:10, G. Crona wrote:

You wrote:

I have tried Zamboni on 13c.
RT

What I find intriguing about Zamboni is how _very_ sparingly he uses the diapasons. The 14th course is used only 3 or 4 times throughout all of the
11 sonatas.

The 12 and 13th are likewise rather scarce (made full use of in only a few movements), in fact much of the music is set on just 6 courses and I would imagine that most of it would fit very well on an 11- or even 10 course instrument. (Perhaps even on an 8-course if stretching it a bit!)

I love this music! IMO one of the lute canon's best kept secrets. I'm making my own playing edition just now (its quite free of mistakes as well) while
listening to the tasty -94 Contini CD.

G.