I don't really disagree with any of this.  But just because lute
method books are not adequate in and of themselves without some
form of guided instruction from a teacher, does NOT mean that they
would not be of benefit, even very great benefit, to people between
their lessons 2 or 3 times a year.

In particular I have had in mind the sort of graded
method book series that would *also* supply the
lack of music at appropriate levels of difficulty.  I've listened
to plenty of well meaning folks play in seminar master classes,
struggling with a piece of music that was too hard for their
technical level, and therefore completely unable to make musical
sense of it.  This is the result of thinking that the available
music, which is generally too hard for beginners and early
intermediate players, is what must be played.  Certainly it can
and should be studied.  But nobody starts off a beginning piano
player with a Scarlatti sonata, much less a Beethoven sonata.

I was thinking of a great pedagogue as one who was willing and
able to produce materials, programs of study, whatever, that would
spread the master's knowledge much more widely.  For example, think
how widely the methods of Suzuki have penetrated in the string
world.  And nobody can fault the level of musical playing if you
hear a recital by young students using that method.  Imagine what
similarly informed lute instruction could produce in the way of
heavenly music.

Suzanne