On Thu, May 21, 2009, chriswi...@yahoo.com said:

>  here's 150 pieces, including virtuoso fantasias by Dowland and Milano;

Some of that is useful, both as a challenge, and giving notes to what you
have memorized from recordings.  Also, often times its what makes the book
interesting to a publisher.  Scales dont sell (yes, I know there are books
of them in staff nottion, students dont buy them on impulse, only when
teacher requires it; well, I know I didnt, and I am reminded every time I
move just how much I have invested in music).  Trick is for the student
with the virtuoso stuff is to be shown how to approach it, perhaps
simplifying it in places; perhaps focusing on an easy section for now,
rest to be mastered later.

Yes, there is also a need for drill, but books of scales, parallel thirds,
chords, and other material for drill is out there, maybe in score, maybe
for other instruments (even voice) but its there.

Morleys canzonets a2 and a3 are excellent practice material, so is
susato's dancerie (schott edition for recorders).  American Recorder
Society has one small collection of pieces taken from the works of H Issac
which provide very challenging studies on rhythmic issues (playing 4
against 3, proportional change with pickup note...).

Yes, best if it comes from the teacher who can judge what is useful to the
student, but not essential, I too have had an ecclectic set of lessons,
weekly in several sessions over three years for voice  as a boy
choirister; couple months of lessons in folk guitar style; about a year on
clarinet; two for fiddle; couple months consort coaching preceded by some
months on recorder (the ensemble needed it more than I, so I played patron
for the first and only time in my life, nice to be well employed); odd
ones here and there on lute.

Formal lessons cost both money and preparation time, largely wasted if you
dont, wont, or cant practice on points raised in the lesson.

>    Rarely do I see invented modern exercises
>    or etudes to help with finding notes, much less fineries like tone
>    production.

tone production is a really hard thing to get from prose.  Should be
mentioned in all tutors as something to be worked on, perhaps with tape
recorder (or computerized microphone) for playback and comparisons.  Ron
McFarlane has touched on aspects of it in his LSA columns.

LH fingering is for many a personal thing, both for guitar and lute,
probably all fretedd strings (yes, even the bowed ones),  the topic came
up in discussions at the collegium musicum I playedd with for some time,
the gamba players were mostly modern string players too, and for them
fingering was mostly a thing long ago learned by rote.  Their challenge is
easier tho, mostly monophonic.  Our challenge is much harder, especially
when virtuoso passages take youup the neck into unfamiliar territory where
open strings entice you into passagi not practiced often enough (often
seen in works of Torrega for guitar)

>     I dream that someday someone will publish

Niche market, doubt anyone with deep resources is gonna take an interest.

LS or LSA comes to mind, the LS does have a start on that with a bunch of
publications aimed at beginning and intermediate skilled players.

A major problem is that those who would do this best are struggling to
stay awake at the wheel as they drive from one gig to another, paying
bills and eating the small profits.

Frederick Noads books for Guitar come to mind, I worked with those,
Carulli, "100 World Favorites for Classical Guitar", and selected Sor
etudes for years, augmented with the odd Villa-lobos etude, flamenco
collection, and other material.  Noad showed me the way to the lute
repetoire, after that I retuned my guitar and tried (vainly) to save up
the cost of a proper instrument...
--
Dana Emery