On May 21, 2009, at 12:02 PM, angevin...@att.net wrote:

> The lute world has great performers.  The lute world has great
> teachers
> for those in the more advanced states of learning.  What the lute
> world
> lacks is a great pedagogue.  Some one with the depth of teaching
> experience and knowledge to put together the graded series of method
> books that would enable lute learning to become available to many,
> instead of the diehard dedicated few.

There is no shortage of great lute teachers eminently capable of
teaching at any level of instruction.  Similarly, the level of lute
pedagogy is not lacking in any way.  The problem is that the United
States and Europe are both very large places, and one cannot always
have access to the great teachers.  Two or three lessons a year at an
annual seminar with one of the "lute gods" might not be enough to
provide the basis for sound learning throughout the year.  But what
else can one do!?  If you play the lute, you have to be willing to
travel.

Take piano pedagogy, a subject in which some people have Phd's.  Yet
would any of them advise going out and buying the method books by
Alfred, Bastien, the Fabers etc., and simply telling people that that
is all they need to learn the basics of piano playing?  Of course
not!  They would all agree that pedagogy is useless without the more-
than-occasional presence of a teacher.  So it is with the lute.

There are great teachers in every area of music, and yes, they do
travel around a lot.  But you have to be willing to travel also.
This is true of any instrument, and any type of musical study.  The
teachers don't come to you;  you have to go to them.  The way to find
out about lute pedagogy is as follows:  take a recording device to
the next seminar workshop you go to.  Record every master class,
private lesson you take, house concert, if it's allowed, and any
other event, for example where question-and-answer sessions are going
on.  Don't just go just with the attitude of taking a week off in
order to groove on the lute for a week.  And most importantly, keep
in mind the operative word is workshop, not worship.  Don't go in
order to worship!  Worshipping the lute gods will avail you nothing.
To make the most of a seminar workshop week, go armed with specific
questions, based on clear ideas of YOUR OWN short-term and long-term
goals on the lute.  Go armed with questions concerning technique,
performance practice, whatever else you need to know.  I have the
impression that lute players do not advance as quickly as they could,
because they spend too much time being in awe of the lute gods.  The
gods are not there to be adored;  well, one or two of them are, but
the only ones who are worth anything as teachers are the ones who are
there for you to pick their brains.

Also, as a supplemental benefit, the lute mailing list is a fantastic
source of pedagogical insight.

David R
dlu...@verizon.net