On 6/13/2011 12:08 PM, howard posner wrote:

On Jun 8, 2011, at 6:36 AM, Catherine Arnott Smith wrote:

Re: "come" in the sense of orgasm: One of my research areas is the use of obscen
ity to describe health concepts, so I happen to have encountered this question b
efore. The OED Third dates this usage to "before 1650" and Partridge's Dictionar
y of Slang and Unconventional English to 1600.

I'm surprised by this, obviously, and I don't have an OED 3 or Partridge handy a
nd won't get a chance to look at either any time soon.  What examples do they gi
ve?

   My university hasn't got a digital Partridge (haven't checked to see if
   there IS a digital Partridge, actually) but I can check that in print
   later and report back-- Partridge really is the authority for slang,
   which is the category under which obscenity usually falls.
   The digital OED 3rd, however, gives this as meaning # 17, "To
   experience sexual orgasm. Also with off. slang."
   and cites
   "a1650    Walking in Meadow Green in Bp. Percy's Loose Songs (1868) ,
   Then off he came, & blusht for shame soe soone that he had endit."
   [A1650 means the usage predates 1650]
   This made me want to go and look for Bishop Percy's Loose Songs, which
   based on the title alone sounds like a lot of fun.
--
Catherine Arnott Smith, PhD
Assistant Professor

My personal website: [1]https://mywebspace.wisc.edu/casmith24/web/

***
The machine does not isolate us from the great problems of nature but plunges us
 more deeply into them.(Antoine de Saint-Exupery)

***
Music is neither old nor modern: it is either good or bad music, and the date at
 which it was written has no significance whatever. (Peter Warlock - The Sackbut
 - 1926)