Interesting question. Do we know how it was done back in the day?

   Bill

   Sent from Yahoo! Mail on Android

   From: Daniel Shoskes <kidneykut...@gmail.com>;
   To: Lute List <lute@cs.dartmouth.edu>;
   Subject: [LUTE] Thigh support for theorbo
   Sent: Wed, Oct 2, 2013 9:35:50 PM
   Dear Theorbistas: has anyone ever tried one of the classical guitar
   rests/cushions/supports that many guitarists now use instead of a
   footstool for their theorbo? Some have suction cups or clamps which I
   wouldn't be thrilled to use on my instrument, but some, like the
   Dynarette don't.
   I'm still struggling to find an ergonomic position and the "sitting on
   the strap" options just don't fit my body.
   Thanks
   Danny