Dear all,

   Don't forget the right hand and arm placement. It should be very close to
the bridge with fingers nearly perpendicular to the strings. This is not only
historical, but it helps the instrument cut through an ensemble much better
than the delicate tone produced by playing over the rose. I typically start by
placing the instrument so that the historically appropriate right hand
technique is possible and I can reach the left hand notes. Usually this
automatically puts the theorbo right in place, without having to constantly
cajole it. (Becomes more difficult on a "mucho macho" tiorba.)

    I find that an almost-vertical position makes it very difficult to get the
right hand close enough to the bridge without feeling like you're in a Picasso
painting.

Chris

Dr. Christopher Wilke D.M.A.
Lutenist, Guitarist and Composer