For the upright, almost vertical position check out the Pipa player's technique. I have NEVER seen them held horizontally- and those are not excessively large lutes. Having played the viola da gamba quite seriously years ago, I can attest to the great ease of long stretches on a vertically held instrument. It's not uncommon for a typical (usually Renaissance) lute player to get a tenor size viol- only to discover that it's uncomfortably small for the vertical position for long, serious practice/playing.

Except for the larger/longer archlutes, holding comfort & security has never been an issue for me (unlike Classical Guitar; scoliosis & tendonitis- thanks a lot, Segovia!). A large suede guitar strap handles my small arciliuto quite handily, and I now hold my guitars the way I hold my lutes- on the right thigh, legs crossed either way, low seat, or sometimes RIGHT foot on a low footstool or guitar case end, the cat, or whatever may be underfoot in stomping distance.

One of my new students spent weeks finding no comfortable lute position- until the day I had her try a simple lute song (she was a singer) -she inhaled, straightened up somewhat on her chair- channeling her "singing awareness position"- and the lute fell right into place on her lap, comfortable and easy to hold & play. In that vein one might treat the problem of holding lutes as an almost Yogic sort of challenge. Also perhaps contact Jacob Herringman- he is a licensed Alexander Technique practitioner as well as a hell of a fine lute player, but I don't know if he has any experience with the larger instruments.

But suction cups on lutes? SUCTION CUPS???

Lord have mercy! ("Excuse me, Herr Kapsperger, is that a toilet plunger in your hand or are you just glad to play continuo for me?")

Dan