>> You write 'If that was so (and I can easily imagine it was so),
>> then what about Mace's grave galliards?'

> What is the precise difficulty you have with 'Mace's grave galliards' ?

No difficulty with the pieces themselves. Fine pieces, grave and solemn, and I
like each of them. The difficulty lies in the names saraband and galliard.
Sarabands are grave and solemn dances, or pieces of music. Galliards are
essentially brisk dances (except when performed merely instrumental in their
elaborated form). Or so I was taught.

Mace offers quite precise instructions how to perform his sarabands and his
galliards. As a result, I play sarabands the way I was thinking that galliards
should be played, and galliards the way I was thinking that sarabands should be
played. It's simply a confusions of terms in my mind.

During the 16th century galliards seem to have been brisk dances, but seem to
have slowed down at the time they fell out of use on the floor. I'm aware of
not more than one galliard by Denis Gaultier (CNRS 90). It seems to require a
slow pace, and in the way Mace advises to take. The fact that Mace offers
several galliards adds to the confusion in my mind, probably.

At one time I was thinking that sarabands and galliards of the types that Mace
described, may have been different kinds of dances than their continental
namesakes.

Mathias