Let's not get confused here - the "split course" technique consists of stopping only one string of a unison course so that the course produces two different notes. This was used by Capirola, Fuenllana, Bakfark, and possibly others. Playing the strings of an octave course separately is a completely different technique, not used (as far as I know) before Mouton in the late 17th century.

Martin
On 12/05/2015 18:25, Lex van Sante wrote:
Yes, for instance in Rechercar XIII one has to finger one string of the fourth
course and plucking both of them.
Op 12 mei 2015, om 18:18 heeft Monica Hall het volgende geschreven:

Does Capirola say that you should play one or other string of an octave strung
course?
Monica

----- Original Message ----- From: "Christopher Wilke" <chriswi...@yahoo.com>
To: <mjlh...@tiscali.co.uk>; <dwinh...@lmi.net>
Cc: <lute@cs.dartmouth.edu>
Sent: Tuesday, May 12, 2015 3:20 PM
Subject: [LUTE] Re: Vihuela Stringing

  I suppose he meant Capirola.
  Chris
  [1]Sent from Yahoo Mail for iPhone

    At May 12, 2015, 8:27:26 AM, Monica Hall<'mjlh...@tiscali.co.uk'>

  "Fuenllana (1554) prescribes playing only one of the two strings in the
  course in some passages (as does Dalza - does he?)"
  As far as I am aware this is not what Fuenllana does. What he does do
  is
  play two different notes on the same course - stopping one string of a
  course and leaving the other unstopped.