> On Jun 7, 2019, at 11:24 AM, Ron Andrico <praelu...@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
> Yes, but the question must be, dialect from where exactly?  Regional
>   dialects have always varied significantly and it is really a vain
>   effort to think we can impose one true historical pronunciation upon
>   the whole of the past.  This is rather like the absurd notion among
>   (non-Italian) singers that there is one correct pronunciation of
>   historical Italian.

I think London is assumed.  Whether there was only one London pronunciation in
1600 is another story.

> My hypothesis is that the primary reason for war
>   is because people just can't understand what other people are saying.

This would be the Anti-Douglas Adams Hypothesis, I suppose:

"The Babel fish is small, yellow, leechlike, and probably the oddest thing in
the Universe. It feeds on brainwave energy received not from its own carrier
but from those around it. It absorbs all unconscious mental frequencies from
this brainwave energy to nourish itself with. It then excretes into the mind of
its carrier a telepathic matrix formed by combining the conscious thought
frequencies with nerve signals picked up from the speech centers of the brain
which has supplied them. The practical upshot of all this is that if you stick
a Babel fish in your ear you can instantly understand anything said to you in
any form of language. The speech patterns you actually hear decode the
brainwave matrix which has been fed into your mind by your Babel fish.

Now it is such a bizarrely improbable coincidence that anything so
mind-bogglingly useful could have evolved purely by chance that some thinkers
have chosen to see it as a final and clinching proof of the NONexistence of God.

The argument goes like this:

`I refuse to prove that I exist,' says God, `for proof denies faith, and
without faith I am nothing.'
`But,' says Man, `The Babel fish is a dead giveaway, isn't it? It could not
have evolved by chance. It proves you exist, and so therefore, by your own
arguments, you don't. QED.'
`Oh dear,' says God, `I hadn't thought of that,' and promptly disappears in a
puff of logic.
`Oh, that was easy,' says Man, and for an encore goes on to prove that black is
white and gets himself killed on the next pedestrian crossing.
Most leading theologians claim that this argument is a load of dingo's kidneys,
but that didn't stop Oolon Colluphid making a small fortune when he used it as
the central theme of his best-selling book, "Well, That about Wraps It Up for
God."

Meanwhile, the poor Babel fish, by effectively removing all barriers to
communication between different races and cultures, has caused more and
bloodier wars than anything else in the history of creation."