I'm not sure if it was stated earlier, but actually Campion makes his teacher
Maltot (who is, apart from the appearance in Campion's treatise, completely
unknown) responsible for having invented the theorbo with 8 strings/courses on
the fretboard, most possibly resulting from the invention of wound strings some
years earlier.
See Campion, Addition (available online on gallica.bnf.fr) for more details.Am