Dear Luca, Magnus and Howard,

There are of course several luiti attiorbati in
Paris with 7 fingered courses but one of them
looks a bit theorbo-ish and might be the one
you're thinking of. It's anonymous E.25 (C228) 13
courses 1x1, 6x2 @ 710mm + 6x2 @ 1090. Joël's
catalogue thinks it was converted from a
German/Italian renaissance lute into a liuto
attiorbato in 17th century. All the real theorbos
there have six fingered courses, either double or
single.

The Koch instrument was interestingly probably
made for a German/Austrian customer since
unusually for Cocho (uniquely?) the label is
written in German "Christoph Koch zu dem Gülden
Adler / in Venedig Jul. 1650" So, putting it with
the Schelle, was there a German/Austrian
repertoire even as early as 1650 for which 7
fingered courses would be useful?

Intriguingly there are two further pegholes, now
plugged, one of which lies beyond the extent of
the pegbox opening. There are rather crude
strengthening inlays which indicate that the
pegbox sides split at some point and these too go
up to include the extra two pegholes. But there
is no sign of an extended opening on the upper
veneer. It would be nice to have an X-ray of this
part. There is also a plugged peghole in the
upper pegbox indicating it originally had the
usual 8 single diapasons. But at present it is
7x2 @ 827mm + 7x1 @ 1675

Best wishes,

David

--