Abdelrazak Younes wrote:
Before Denmark, the UserGuide PageDown test was at 18 seconds. Now it is at 25 seconds. I hope you have some more code in store for speed ;-)

It might very well be the anti-aliasing we enabled. Can you try to revert that? Just search for setRenderHint and comment those guys out. If this is the case, I guess anti-aliasing should be optional through some preference setting.

If that doesn't help, you should try to revert the nullpainter change and test again. It might be those extra paragraphs that have to be drawn outside the screen for real now that makes the difference.

Finally, it could be André's new rendering scheme which is slower on your setup.

Also, we'd like some MacOSX users to try the new code before we make the final judgement.

One conclusion is clear: The only sure way to get substantially faster rendering is to draw less on the screen, as discussed earlier today, either by introducing the old singlePar optimisation, or do some drawing-caching scheme.

The profilings were conflicting depending on the tools used, but on Windows using Glowcode, my results showed that rendering alone took around 70% of all time. updateMetrics was next in line with 7%. The rest was scattered all over the place.

Regards,
Asger