On Mon, 8 May 2000, Chris Eliasmith wrote:

> My idea is this: Allow non-previously entered labels to be used
> as references.  This is a quick-fix for allowing those (like me)
> to embed cross-references to other documents (i'm writing a book
> and need to reference sections in other chapters that are
> parts of a multi-part main document).  It would be *really* nice
> to have label/reference support across documents somehow.  Right
> now, i have to latex code such cross-references.

I implemented this feature to finish my msci thesis a year ago. The trick
is to use "insert insets" in the parent document and at the very begining
of the "child documents" (chapters) insert a "parent inset".

The only way to insert a parent inset (AFAIK) is typing in the minibuffer:

        parent-insert <name of the parent document>

This will bring you a way to use cross references and citations over
related subdocuments.

Note: I ignore whether recent kernel changes have improved/removed this
feature.

Greets,

Alejandro