John McCabe-Dansted wrote:

> In the worst case we could enumerate the options. Heck I'd even find
> 1:  English
> 2: English (UK)
> 3: English (USA)
> 4: English (Canada)
> More meaningful than
> _English
> E_nglish (UK)
> En_glish (USA)
> Eng_lish (Canada)

I don't. Remember these are _menu_ accelerators. The menus often do not use
mnemotics, but rather "what is available" (since you do not have to meorize
these accelerators while you see the menu).

Proper key accelerators (Such as "Alt+L e") would need to be added anyway
(in addition to the menu). I mean Alt+E+L+E is still too clumsy (and this is
not where this menu aims at).

> An approach which avoids using '(' would be to represent the languages
> as a tree, and put the _ before the first available alpha-numeric
> character in the string e.g.
> {
> { "_English"
> { "(_Canada)"
> { "(U"
> {"_K)" }
> {"_SA)"}
> }
> }
> { "_French" }
> }
>
> resulting in:
> _English
> English (_Canada)
> English (U_K)
> Engish (U_SA)
> _French
>
> Would this approach be preferred?

I think we can do that better with Qt's help. I'll have a look.

Jürgen