On Thu, Feb 25, 2010 at 8:34 PM, Jürgen Spitzmüller <sp...@lyx.org> wrote:
> Jean-Marc Lasgouttes wrote:
>
>> BTW, I just tried this language selector thing, only to find out that,
>> in the rather usual case when only one language is used, it adds an ugly
>> Language... entry that just opens the character dialog. I think it would
>> be better the gray out of remove the entry in this case. This new menu
>> entry is a regression in terms of usability IMO.
>
> If you think so, fine with me. I remebered that people do not easily find
> that language is to be set in the character dialog.

My feeling also was that people may be confused if the "Languages" was
grayed out. Often when using a GUI I have been confused as to why a
particular item has been grayed out, and existing toolkits don't seem
to encourage developers to give explanations of why items are grayed
out.

I can imagine a user going:
   "OK, the Languages is grayed out, maybe LyX uses the OO lang packs,
I'll install those. Nup didn't work. Maybe the GIMP lang packs? OK,
I'll try installing *all* the lang packs my distro provides, one of
them must the right one. Huh, still doesn't work? Hmm, maybe I need to
recompile ..."

Perhaps the Languages menu should always have certain important
languages available, including for example
  1) The LyX Interface Language
  2) The System default language
  3) On Linux/Ubuntu Languages that the user has installed
language-packs for (or maybe aspell/hunspell packs)
  4) Languages that the user has configured input methods for.

In my case this would mean that I always have English, English (UK),
English (USA), French, German and Japanese as options, regardless of
whether they already exist in the document.

--
John C. McCabe-Dansted