On Sun, Mar 7, 2010 at 12:52 AM, Pavel Sanda <sa...@lyx.org> wrote:
> John McCabe-Dansted wrote:
>> It seems that a dialog box allowing the user to choose what to do on a
>> case by case basis would be nicer than the LyX window  disappearing
>> without any warning. Is there a disadvantage?
>
> over engineering. please note again that alpha is for testers only
> and not for Joe the BFU. the annoucements will go only to dev and
> users list.

I was thinking more of a long term thing, but thought I should discuss
the ultimate design now.

> the dialog which would make me interested is the one which produce
> backtrace after each crash, so user can put it in our bugzilla.
> but thats not easy to do i guess.

Maybe something like the following?
        char buffer[512];
        sprintf(buffer, "(echo set height 0 ; echo bt ; yes q) | gdb
./lyx %d",getpid());
        system(buffer);
(Clearly ./lyx should be replaced with lyx::os::support::utf8_argv(0))

Seems to work on my Linux box. There is gdb for MingW but I don't know
if that means it could be made to work on Windows.

I imagine that using Qt dialogs if there is a actual crash (rather
than an assertion) may be a little risky. But  maybe I could replace
"BOOST_ASSERT(false)" with code similar to the above in lassert?

--
John C. McCabe-Dansted