I had to do a bit of research just now to figure out what things used to
look like vs. how they look now.

By default, the first thing you see on a Mac now (this is 10.8 for sure but
also 10.10, I think?  can't remember my office Mac's OS version):
[image: Inline image 1]

The "Search Citation" field is hidden from view, where before it was open
on first view. It still is on my not-yet-upgraded Linux machine.

The "Formatting" options were hidden in the older view until a citation was
selected. They are open by default now, but I think that's a little
misleading since one should not want to or be able to format a citation
when none are selected yet.

The other misleading thing about the current GUI dialog is that the one
field that's visible and looks like it could be typed in is the citation
preview field.

Maria