LyX features important for me:

* LyX don't "mess up" formatting. (indents, blank lines, lists,...) When writing some pages for my students, I don't really need to check output because it all just works. Everytime. I can also write down what happens at a meeting in real time, and mail out a PDF as the meeting ends. LyX never put a heading on the bottom of a page either. Cross references and TOC is always correct. (Apparently, a more expensive word processor struggles with just that. Users need to 'update the TOC' or whatever?)

* LyX can typeset straight margins with good hyphenation, without getting excessively long spaces between words. This alone is a good reason for using LyX. Ragged-right looks unprofessional, and so does lines with excessive interword space.

* LyX is very good for multi-file documents! Example: I have a file with a chapter describing "network firewalls using linux". This is included into a larger document about network security. It is also used in another document about securing linux servers. These two documents have different length and different number of chapters. So the firewall chapter may be chapter 3 on page 14 in one case, and it may be chapter 2 on page 7 in the other case. There are no problems with this. The TOC, the page & figure numbers, everything works in both cases! So if I add another section to my "firewall" document, there is only one place to edit. There is no effort keeping the other two documents 'in sync'; because there are no copies to synchronize.

* Another multi-file case: I teach programming. So I need source code examples. I can embed references to source code files in LyX. Again, there is only one place to edit - the source code file. When LyX produces a PDF, it reads the source code files and typesets it - complete with syntax highlighting! And no effort keeping the compilable source code 'in sync' with the document. No code is copied into LyX, only a reference to the filename.

* LyX can use just about any LaTeX feature. But I don't need to use LaTeX commands for everyday writing, it is as easy as any other word processor.

* LyX supports my language well, and lots of others too. Both the user interface, hyphenation and spellchecking. Commercial word processors have less support for 'small' languages.

* LyX does presentations as well as text document; so I don't need powerpoint. I wouldn't know how to get something like a tikz animation in powerpoint anyway.

Other cool features:
* Excellent math support. Any formula of interest can be written in LyX. It won't be hard, and it will look good. Thanks to the LaTeX backend, of course. Lyx will also interface with math software; press a button and it will do difficult integrals for you, by asking maxima or mathematica.

* LyX cooperates with Lilypond, so you can have both music and text set nicely.