On 29/09/2016 19:02, Tommaso Cucinotta wrote:
15-min demo about LyX at the upcoming LinuxDay, on Oct 22nd in Pisa (Italy),
and I've just been notified that this might really happen :-)!

Indeed, it happened :-)! Just a quick note that all attendees raised their hands
when asked about familiarity with LaTeX, but only one of them knew LyX already
(positive experience of a thesis written with LyX). Despite this, I wasn't
assaulted & destroyed by LaTeX geeks as I was expecting :-)...

I ended up with making an overview of LyX features, +/- following those few
slides I circulated already

  http://retis.sssup.it/~tommaso/LinuxDay-2016.pdf

I made a live demonstration of:
- LyX maths & tables editing
- graphics insertion including easy creation of .odg graphics from samples
(local patch) and .gnuplot scripts/plots automatically graph-ed (local patch)
- advanced find & replace, including finding styles with regexps and finding
maths
- LyX chat (local patch) through the use of a local XMPP server on my laptop
- and a few other things.

[more or less, all things included in my tommaso repo, linux-day-2016 branch,
perhaps I'll polish and push something else tomorrow]

Got a couple of students asking off-line some more details about external
scripting similar to what I had shown with .gnuplot :-)!

So, let's hope to get some more users and/or contributors :-)!

Cheers,

    T.