Andre Poenitz <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> On Mon, Aug 12, 2002 at 09:16:51PM +0200, David Kastrup wrote:
> > The default fonts on my system look like junk.  Sorry, that's how it
> > is.  In particular, the math fonts plainly are awful (basically being
> > sloppily rendered line drawings).
>
> This is _only_ for delimiters and accents.
>
> For "ordinary characters" like 'a', \mathbb{R}, \sum  etc, either the X
> symbol font or suitable LaTeX fonts can be used. So saying "math fonts are
> ... basically being sloppily rendered line drawings" is a bit
> strong.

LaTeX fonts? How?

> > But the text fonts also are not good.  Some sort of printer fonts (what
> > is it, Times or what?)
>
> It is whatever you have chosen. What do you think Edit->Preferences->
> ScreenFonts (incidently the very first tab when opening the preferences
> menu) is good for?
>
> > My Emacs source text buffers use 20x10 fixed fonts.  That are fonts that
> > are actually designed for readability _at_ _screen_ _resolution_.
>
> So why don't you use them in LyX?

Because the menu basically just offers entering an X font name?  It is
always a bear to dig through with xfontsel and try to find something
to match properly for every single font in use.  That should be left
as a final configuration option for the experts.

Note that even the programmer's editor and overall hacker tool Emacs
offers font selection schemes, where selecting a scheme will get you a
matching set of fonts.  And if I naively just select the default font
in my X defaults, Emacs will select a fitting set of italics, bold,
large and so on from an appropriate scheme to match it.

LyX trumpets user friendliness.  There is no point in keeping people
from having to learn a few mnemonic LaTeX commands, and then demand
digging into the X font system only to arrive at a configuration that
should either be the default, or easily configurable with clicking
_few_ buttons.

BTW, the "Customization" section does not deal with how to avoid
constant justification on line ends, and the menus don't offer
anything in that line, either.

This is all LyX-1.2.0.

Email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]