Den 30. aug. 2016 00:35, skrev Jannick:
Hi,

Putting tables created by gnumeric's ssconvert (from original .xlsx) into
floating boxes results in table numbers increasing by 2. My document having
such tables only shows even table numbers only.

I think this is because each of the converted tables itself (defined as
'longtable') increases the table counter by 1 - and so does the floating box
\caption on top of that. The preamble hack

        \let\oldinput\input
        \renewcommand{\input}[1]{\oldinput{#1}\addtocounter{table}{-1}}

reduces the table counter by 1 right after table import, which is only
correct if \caption appears after \input.

I am not sure if this is considered a bug, but to me it seems that the hack
works only contingent what syntactically follows \input. I leave it with you
guys if you deem that a bug and put a '\addtocounter{table}{-1}' after
\input when syntactically appropriate.

A longtable is not supposed to go into "a floating box".
"Short" tables are not broken up if they appear on the bottom of a page. Instead, the entire table is moved to the next page. (It is assumed that short tables will look really bad if broken up.) However, this may leave the previous page with a big gap. Therefore, we have floats to avoid that particular problem. Short tables are not numbered, the numbering is done by the float mechanism.

A longtable don't need to float, if it appear at the bottom of a page, it will get broken up. This is a better way of handling tables that are very long. (Optionally, headings can repeat on each page.)
No float is involved, so long tables handle table numbering themselves.

Therefore, numbers screw up when a long table goes into a float. But you are not supposed to need that, if you want a floating table - use one that is not 'long'.

If gnumeric only exports long tables and that is not what you want - ask them if they can implement another latex export.

Helge Hafting