-----Original Message-----
From: Helge Hafting
Sent: Monday, September 5, 2016 3:24 PM

>Den 31. aug. 2016 18:58, skrev Jannick:
>>
>> Understand. Maybe a question with an easy answer: Assuming that
>> ssconvert creates a long table or any other kind of table, is there a
>> way to add a table label (caption) other than using a floating object?
>> This is why I was using the nested structure which as you say is not
necessary.

>I think I understand - you want your spreadsheet table to have an automatic
table number?

>I don't know any good way to do that. The ssconvert utility exports a
longtable, which is a thing not supposed to go inside a float. Also,
ssconvert does not add the necessary LaTeX code to get a numbered longtable.

>The ideal solution is to extend ssconvert, so it (optionally) produces a
numbered longtable or a normal table that can be put into a float. You will
have to contact the gnumeric developers for that though.

Well, the alternative would be the -1 hackery with which I could live as
well.

>Another solution is to export manually, instead of using the "external
material" inset. That is, run ssconvert yourself, and import the exported
latex file into LyX. It is then possible to change it - either turn the
longtable into a normal table, or change it to a numbered longtable.  The
downside is that you have to re-do all of this if you ever change the
spreadsheet - while the "external inset" tracks the spreadsheet file and any
future changes you make to it.

Agree, this would be the last one on a solution list from my point of view
given that I want to use lyx to type the document and (!) to completely
control the compilation procedure.

I think the problem boils down to the question of how to tell lyx in the
gnumeric table import dialogue the two pieces of information, namely
1 - the .xlsx file name and
2 - the tab name of the tab from which ssconvert should extract the table
from to be imported into the .lyx/.tex document.

Does anybody know how to pass two arguments to lyx where one is a file name
(to be processed upon compilation) and a second required argument for the
file conversion procedure? Please see my other posting I just sent.

/J.