Tried a purge (looked successful) and a reconfigure.

Same error.
##======================================##

An error occurred while running:

Rscript --verbose --no-save --no-restore $$s/scripts/lyxknitr.R

"/tmp/lyx_tmpdir.SpjIUqEQ9242/lyx_tmpbuf0/""LyXnewfile1.Rnw"

"/tmp/lyx_tmpdir.SpjIUqEQ9242/lyx_tmpbuf0/""LyXnewfile1.tex" ISO-8859-15

"/home/jrkrideau/"

08:22:12.888: Error while exporting format: PDF (pdflatex)

08:23:02.090: (dialog-toggle progress)

##========================================##

I does annoy me that I cannot install Inkscape. I am pretty sure I had it
installed under Ubuntu 16.04 and an upgrade should not have removed it.

Synaptic is showing a couple of unloaded Inkscape dependencies but not the
main Inkscape program.

I just tried an reload of the synaptic data base and am getting some nasty
messages that I have no idea how to interpret. They seem to mirror messages
I get when doing a *sudo apt update*.

Please see attached screenshot

--
John Kane