Yes. I really have no idea of where some of those ppa's have come from and
I may just go in and wipe out anything that's in the file and hope for the
best.  I can always replace those that I really need.(I hope.)

Someone else may have another idea that may help also.

I did discover that I can compile a LaTeX file with knitr---which does not
work but at least it does not bomb. However, I have no idea what that
means.

--
John Kane
Kingston ON Canada