> So, how do you do it? ;-)

Works only with latest CVS and the patch I send yesterday to lyx-devel
and only for a very limited set of operations.

Note that this combination is not to be used for serious work. Latest
recommended version for serious work involving math is CVS from early
February, but using one of 1.1.6fixes or even 1.1.5 should be even better.

> I wonder whether the Lyxpipes are sufficient to achieve this or whether some
> changes whithin LyX are required.

It would probably work with LyXpipes, but that's not what has been used.

> There is a promising open Computer Algebra System on the net called YACAS
> (http://www.xs4all.nl/~apinkus/) (I haven't tried yet) also MuPad
> (http://www.mupad.de/) could be interesting (although not open source) It
> allowes to specify the output format (and has already a latex output
> library (although this did not work for me)) so it might be convinced to send
> something interpretable to the Lyxpipe.

All that is needed is either LaTeX or something easily convertable to
LaTeX. So MuPAD should be fine in the end. I have never tried YACAS,
though.

Andre'

--