On Wednesday 23 January 2008, muzzle wrote:
> Hi,
> I have been using lyx for my latex needs for quite a long time. Now I
> am trying latex presentations, but lyx does not seem very well suited
> for the task and I went back to pure latex code.
> Can you give me some advice on writing slides with lyx? Is it even a good
> idea? Any plans for the next release regarding this area? I think it coul
> be a very interesting impovement given the quality of the average
> powerpoint/openoffice presentation :)
> Goodbye,

Emme,

I have used Powerdot very successfully for presentations at international
conferences for about three years (http://wiki.lyx.org/Layouts/Powerdot).

I have installed Powerdot from CTAN on four computers running different (but
all up-to-date) Linux distributions, and have not yet found the default LaTeX
installation to meet the prerequisites for Powerdot (usually the required
version of xkeyval [2.5c] is not there).  These requirements are on page 26
of the Powerdot manual, unobtrusively included under the heading "Compiling
your presentation".  A LyX layout is included with the CTAN download.

Overall, I think Powerdot gives much better (more professional and consistent)
results than PowerPoint, but does not have the ease of editing, nor many of
the "bells and whistles".  I would say it is about 70% integrated into LyX.
One point which is not emphasized in the manual is that though the final
product is usually a PDF file, you can't get it using pdflatex -- you have to
use ps2pdf.

--
Les