On Wednesday 23 January 2008, John O'Gorman wrote:
> Recently I flirted with powerdot. It is a nightmare on the SUSE
> platforms and relies on postscript for overlays, animation, etc which
> then do not translate fully to PDF. Powerdot also relies on TeX packages
> which are not included by default in the SUSE teTeX distributions.

John,

This is a valid criticism of Powerdot.  However, I think you'll find it worth
persevering to get it running.  One of the systems I use it on is a 64-bit
SMT version of Suse 10.1 (and you probably wouldn't believe the extra
incompatibilities you get with 64-bit!), and you're right -- it wants half a
dozen pieces not included in the Suse distribution: but they're all readily
available on CTAN, and quite easy to install (if you read the instructions --
it varies from package to package).

Powerdot does not work properly with pdflatex for conversion to PDF, but it
does work properly with ps2pdf.

I include \hypersetup{pdfpagemode=FullScreen} in the Preamble, which starts
the presentation with a full-screen display, instead of the usual Acroread
menu and border.  You can easily customize the layout with judicious use of
ERT, or use one of the included styles and stick with the defaults.

--
Les