On Wed, 2008-01-23 at 15:23 +0100, muzzle wrote:
> Hi,
> I have been using lyx for my latex needs for quite a long time. Now I
> am trying latex presentations, but lyx does not seem very well suited
> for the task and I went back to pure latex code.
> Can you give me some advice on writing slides with lyx? Is it even a good
> idea?
> Any plans for the next release regarding this area? I think it coul be
> a very interesting impovement given the quality of the average
> powerpoint/openoffice presentation :)

I use beamer for all my presentations.
It produces good quality, consistent, structured layouts and can produce
fully functional PDF files (with rather pleasant navigation icons).

It is not foolproof on my platform (SuSE and openSUSE) and not all the
supplied examples work. But if you start by finding the simplest example
file which works (or cull it until it does) then work up from there, you
will find the effort worthwhile.

I have tried others (e.g. Prosper and friends) in the past. Beamer is
better.

Recently I flirted with powerdot. It is a nightmare on the SUSE
platforms and relies on postscript for overlays, animation, etc which
then do not translate fully to PDF. Powerdot also relies on TeX packages
which are not included by default in the SUSE teTeX distributions.

If you wish, contact me separately, and I will send you sample
presentations I have made. (One of the presentations is on LyX - LaTeX
for our local Linux User Group).

regards
John O'Gorman