> I have been using lyx for my latex needs for quite a long time. Now I am
> trying latex presentations, but lyx does not seem very well suited for the
> task and I went back to pure latex code.
> Can you give me some advice on writing slides with lyx? Is it even a good
> idea?
> Any plans for the next release regarding this area? I think it could be a
> very interesting improvement given the quality of the average
> powerpoint/openoffice presentation :)

It sure seems like a good idea to me. The Beamer products are very
impressive and clean, and IMO anything is better than another dull PPT
presentation with Comic Sans text. I intended to start working on this a few
days from now for a presentation of my own, but knowing nothing I went and
checked the Wiki. This helped:

http://wiki.lyx.org/Examples/Beamer

The example by Rich Drewes is very nice, but I noticed that LaTeX looks for
what appears to be Python scripts in some frames of Section 2. Thus, for me,
the PDF or DVI production fails. The scripts look like ones Rich wrote
himself, so the compilation will likely fail for anyone that downloads it.
But, the example LyX file gives you the idea.

I'm also particularly interested in any other advice people have about
Beamer presentations via LyX. (I'm on WinXP with LyX 1.5.3.)

-----
David Hewitt
Virginia Institute of Marine Science
http://www.vims.edu/fish/students/dhewitt/