On Thu, Mar 13, 2008 at 12:43 PM, Andre Poenitz
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 13, 2008 at 12:19:25PM -0600, Bob Lounsbury wrote:
>  > >  > 3) Also, just to repeat myself. Gmail automatically "threads" emails
>  > >  > by subject, so it is very nice to read as they say it's like having a
>  > >  > conversation with people.
>  > >
>  > >  Well, that's a feature of every decent mail reader (and has been so
>  > >  for a dozen years...)
>  >
>  > True. But Gmail collects them in "conversations" so rather that having
>  > to click on each message within a thread and then scroll through the
>  > message to view it, all I have to do is scroll down the page and
>  > follow along with the conversation just like looking at a web page or
>  > something. (To have to move the mouse around and click on each message
>  > and then scroll through the message is tiresome for me, call me lazy
>  > :-} ),
>
>  Call _me_ lazy, but I usually spend exactly one keystroke per mail I read -
>  that's 'd' as in 'delete-the-one-that-I-just-read-and-show-me-the-next-one'.
>  Of course, if there's more than ~80 lines in a mail I have to press
>  <space> do scroll down, but I'd guess way more than 80% of my mails are
>  shorter than that.

Yeah, I've never used mail readers enough to get to know all the
shortcuts. This is beauty of computers, to each his own, as everything
is configurable.

>  > >  For 1) and 2) I rather rely on my laptop than relying on someone
>  > >  keeping _my_ data. It might be a bit different when only used for
>  > >  public mailing lists, but then I rather have all of my
>  > >  correspondence in one place, public or not.
>  >

> > If all I ever used was one single laptop I would definitely agree, but
>  > I use probably four different computers in any given week.
>
>  I am in the same ballpark, but then I keep 'private' stuff and 'work'
>  separated, and for 'stuff at work' I have a completely different set
>  of 'privacy rules'...

I have private and work separated also. Although I can occasionally be
caught checking Gmail and responding to the LyX user list from work
(don't tell anyone ;-} ).

>  > I'm not too worried about Google going anywhere in the near future,
>  > but if something were to happen it would be easy enough to POP3 all my
>  > messages for backup (which may not be a bad idea anyway now that you
>  > made me think of it ;-) ).
>
>  Unless this service is shut down without prior notice. And even if it is
>  not shut down you never know who accesses your data.

I'll have to disagree with this one. Google will not shut down Gmail
without prior notice, there are just too many people using it. That's
like saying Windows is going to shut down support for XP without
notice. It's just not going to happen. Hopefully you have personal
email data backed up also, before your hard drive or os crashes. You
sound like the type that probably does.

I also access my email through 'https' so it would be very difficult
for anyone to access the data. This also means that hopefully you are
downloading your email with encryption otherwise anyone could access
that data also.

>  > There may be riot or something if Gmail vanished.
>
>  Would definitely be an interesting experiment ....
>
>  Andre'

Bob