Philippe Grosjean wrote:
OpenOffice does that with the Open Document format (.odx). Java does that with JARs, Mozilla does that with plugins, ... Everytime it is the same: a zipped directory tree. Perhaps, such a format (kind of .zlyx) could be purely optional? It shouldn't replace the original format. That way, opponents could use their usual .lyx files and place their figures where they like. I would be very happy to get such a feature!

No, certainly it wouldn't replace anything.

rh

Richard Heck wrote:
Etienne lepercq wrote:
I am new to LyX, but not as new to LaTeX : I used Kile for quiet a few time now. I would like to use LyX to work with several people on an article. As LyX is
much more user-friendly than Kile, a pure LaTeX editor, I convinced my
collaborators to give a try to LyX.

There is te least one thing in LyX (and LaTeX) that is not easy to handle, sharing a whole document to make it modifiable by others : one have to build an archive with all figures and latex source, collaborators have to untar
it, open LyX, read/modify/etc... and then... rebuild archive, send the
archive, etc...

This is counter-productive, not easy to use, it is a pain. One simple
solution I see for this is to give the ability to LyX to open, say .tar
archives, with a specific tree inside (.yx sources, then
figures/allFigures.Whatever or something). Such archive could be called
.lyxZ files ;-)

Does such feature exist already ? I searched over FAQ/Documentation/Asked on #LyX but did not find anything more than : two implementations were made once, but as nobody could say which was the best... none were released !!

This is not _that_ complex to implement, but is there a way to have such
feature now, or is there a way to at least release one relatively-good
implementation ?

I agree with you that there is a way to do this that makes it quite simple, both to implement and to use. But it imposes restrictions on where you can put files, since you can't (and don't want to) untar to arbitrary locations in the filesystem. This bothered some people. And so it was disagreements over how to manage these sorts of issues that led to our not releasing anything. To my mind, this was a perfect example of the good being sacrificed for the non-existent best, but, well, I'd really rather not have that battle again.

So, at present, the tar-untar routine is about all we can do.

That said, if enough USERs thought the kind of facility you have mentioned here was worth implementing, I'd be willing to resurrect the work I did before and make it functional.

Richard