>> I _really_ think this is a must have: I know someone else that is willing
>> to work with LyX and propose it to her teacher, but having to tar/untar ...
>> will make it _very_ difficult to accept.
>> Of course, you are right about the problem of where to untar temporary
>> files (as with this approach, I think un-tared files should be considered as
>> temporary files from the user's point of view) but currently LyX _does_ use
>> temporary files when working with an unsaved document !
>>
>>  That's precisely what my old implementation did: untar to the temporary
> directory.
>
>  I think that preserving the same temporary path is not decreasing the
>> quality of LyX, and adds a good feature (for some people, a must have, when
>> compared to the workflow some have when working with WYSIWYG applications
>> like OOo or MS-Word).
>>
>>  Yes, this model is similar to OOo, etc. Images and the like get
> "embedded" within the document and lose touch with where they came from.
> But it's a familiar model.

Yes, that's a major drawback ! But the .zlyx could be used as an "export"
file format to share with others, then one could just merge back the .lyx
embedded into the .zlyx : I see this as a way one can use this feature, but
some may want to use it otherwise (as everyone does when using OOo for
example, reinsert the figure)

Does such feature-request be proposed (once again ;-) ) in the dev ML to
>> better know if your previous work may be merged now, or if the same
>> disagreements still exist ?
>>
>>  At least in some quarters, these worries still exist.
>
> On the other hand, I think Vincent was working on this problem a while ago.
> I don't know how far he got.
>
> Richard

I think this feature should be at least re-discussed.
And thank you for your answers !
Etienne

--
Sincerily