Christian Ridderström wrote:
On Mon, 13 Apr 2009, Richard Heck wrote:

 Yes, that's a major drawback ! But the .zlyx could be used as an
 "export" file format to share with others, then one could just merge
 back the .lyx embedded into the .zlyx : I see this as a way one can
 use this feature, but some may want to use it otherwise (as everyone
 does when using OOo for example, reinsert the figure)

This is where things get messy. If you just want an export format, then that actually exists already, kind of. There's a script, lyxpak.py, in the development tree that will "pack" a LyX file and all its dependencies, wherever they may be, into a tar, I think. Then it can be shipped off, unpacked, etc. The difficulty is then in "updating". Obviously, you can unpack the tar yourself and do with it as you will. But, for security reasons, you do not really want LyX to be able automatically to unpack and write to arbitrary locations in your filesystem.

Aren't there options to 'tar' that can help with this, e.g. only allowing things to be written to somewhere inside a subdirectory.

Yes, of course, and if you're not worried about updating, then that is sufficient.

rh