On Mar 29, 2010 9:07am, Marius Vollmer <marius.voll...@nokia.com> wrote:
It might be mostly bullshit, but not entirely. If we teach people that
it is normal to go hunting for alternative repositories, we
substantially increase the risk that they run into unsafe and evil ones.
I do not think anyone is "teaching people to go hunting for alternative
repositories" here. What I do see though is that the Extras
admission/promotions processes have become so bothersome to
developers that they border on hostile.

In relation to that, I would like to remind everyone that the life does not
stop at Extras: it is *ok* to create and maintain your own repositories.
If Extras management would like as many developers as possible to use
Extras, they have to make actual changes to the admission/promotion
process rather than continue repeating the "everything but Extras is evil"
mantra. These changes have been discussed multiple times over the last
6 months, so it is somewhat sad to see that none of them are
implemented.

One of the first things that you learn when you grow up is that it is
not a good idea to put everything into your mouth that you find on the
ground.
Another thing that you learn when you grow up is that grownups generally
prefer making their own decisions rather than allowing their parents to
continue making decisions for them.

Thus, we should market the advantages of a centralized repository to our
users (down to making adding new repositories with .install files more
scary, but still fair), and work to reduce repository fragmentation by
seeking out the 'rogue' ones and copying their packages into ours, if
legal, and subject to the same QA as other packages, of course.
So, but I am afraid this is not exactly the first thing you should do. :)