Andreas J. Koenig wrote:
It entered 2005-12-19, short before 1.80_57. But note, that the
protection I was talking about is not the fact that M:B is in the
Bundle:CPAN. The protecion looks instead like so:

    if (-f "Build.PL" && ! -f "Makefile.PL" && ! exists
$req->{"Module::Build"}) {
        $CPAN::Frontend->mywarn("  Warning: CPAN.pm discovered Module::Build as
".
                                "undeclared prerequisite.\n".
                                "  Adding it now as a prerequisite.\n"
                               );

But I guess my point was big projects like RT (which is the one that Adam cited) should have a prominently displayed warning "make sure your CPAN[PLUS] is up to date before trying to install." Either updating CPAN (or preferably Bundle::CPAN) should be the first order of business and would prevent any bootstrap problems (unless you are stuck with Win32, that is).

John

--
John Peacock
Rowman & Littlefield Publishing Group