On Thu, Feb 16, 2006 at 02:07:50PM +0100, Rafael Garcia-Suarez wrote:
> On 2/16/06, demerphq <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > ps: I'll go out on a limb here and say that MB should NOT be made core
> > until it makes Makefile.PL production mandatory. And until it can

That doesn't make sense to me.  Alerting module authors to missing
Makefile.PLs is important only because of how many MB-less
installations there are out there; adding MB to the core can only end
up decreasing the number of such installations.

> My opinion : the functionality that's interesting to add in the core
> is to be able to run Build.PL, not to produce distros.

Agreed, but there's little point in separating them.

> On the other hand, if we begin to ship M::B with stable perls, a lot
> of people will keep perl's M::B and not upgrade it. So we'd better be
> sure it's pretty stable in terms of functionality and API. So I agree
> with you here.

Um.  Those same people aren't likely to install M::B in the first place.
I don't see how providing them with it (even if it will fall out of date)
hurts.

With respect to stability, I hope functionality continues to increase,
and that backwards-incompatible changes will be severely limited.  I
don't see how this is different from any other module already in the
core.

However, I hope you are only applying this reasoning to 5.8.x.  My
main reason for wanting M::B in the core for 5.9.x as soon as possible
is to increase the number of people forced to test it and help get it
working on non-major platforms.