btaurus_gene_ensembl is a dataset name, not a mart name. The parameter 'mart'
requires a mart name. In this case (admittedly I did this by process of
guessing) the mart name for the mart that contains the dataset
btaurus_gene_ensembl is 'ensembl'. Therefore the following works the way you
are probably expecting it to:

http://www.biomart.org/biomart/martservice?mart=ensembl&type=version

cheers,
Richard

--
Richard Holland, BSc MBCS
Operations and Delivery Director, Eagle Genomics Ltd