I _think_ (not 100% certain) that doing this will get you the info you need:

http://www.biomart.org/biomart/martservice?type=configuration&dataset=btaurus_gene_ensembl

and look for the softwareVersion attribute in the DatasetConfig tag (very near
the top).

However I think the datasetConfigVersion in Query is not really that important
and I'm pretty sure it is never actually checked. Mostly it is checking that
the query format you are using is the same as the version of MartService you
are talking to - i.e. when talking to a 0.6 server, don't use any tags that
weren't introduced until 0.7, for instance.

But when all's said and done I'm not a huge BioMart expert at the moment so
I'll leave it to Syed and co. to correct me if I'm wrong!

cheers,
Richard

--
Richard Holland, BSc MBCS
Operations and Delivery Director, Eagle Genomics Ltd