At 17:00 28/05/99 GMT, you wrote:
>Chris,
>
>I think you might want to note that this list is aimed at MARXISTS
>not left reformists (to whom I would hope it would be opposed!) and
>the Guardian has never been Marxist.

Could I ask Rob and Bill to republish the list charter, or whatever it is
called. I am sorry to be formal, but on both Leninist International (also
supported from Utah) and Louis Proyect's marxism list there have been what
I obviously consider arbitary rulings separate from specific reference to
the list charter, against one individual's contributions. While that
individual is me, the question is much wider than the fairness or otherwise
of the treatment of one individual, but about whether there is the
potentiality for a wide range of debate for the list as a whole. As Russ
indicated, there is a desire for many to refute openly, not by censorship,
incorrect leftist ideas. Arbitrary treatment of an individual may be unfair
but its greater importance is that it damages the list. Any of us who take
part in a discussion group need to  value the process more than the
pleasure of meeting ideological clones.

I would say to John Walker that the reason why this list should be open to
debate such leftist ideas as those of the Observer-Guardian group is that
they are very influential, and are somewhat to the left of New Labour. If
we have any sort of a Gramscian concept of winning a battle for hegemony,
we have to take on board wider leftist ideas without being sectarian in a
individual way but arguing effectively against what is wrong in them. That
will also involve accepting what is correct in them.

A narrow approach of denouncing all opportunists ideologically will not
defeat opportunism. Opportunism, of both left and right, has to be defeated
in the test of practice.

I do not appeal for John Walker's sympathy. I suggest it is in the
interests of the wider cause, that he regards me as at least a teacher by
negative example.

Could we please be reminded of the list charter, or whatever it is called?

Chris Burford

London