#1 YOU MUST clip all extraneous text when replying to a message.
#2 This mail-list, like most, is publicly & permanently archived.
#3 Subscribe and post under an alias if #2 is a concern.

>But let us consider, in the absence of any proof, simple logic.  Why would
the Assad regime have launched such attacks, militarily ineffective as they
were, just weeks after Obama publicly stated, and trumpeted in the lackey
media,  that chemical weapons would be his 'red line' to destroy the Assad
regime's military?   Why would Assad play into Obama's hands in this way?
Isn't that scenario, in the light of constant US goverment lies revealed by
Wikileaks, more than a little too coincidental?

Because Assad calculated that the US was not actually interested in another
military confrontation. China and Russia had vetoed the 2012 resolution
against his regime, meaning that there was basically no chance for a
UNSC-based regime change operation like in Libya. He also knew that the US
was basically depending on Iran in Iraq, and both the Iranian govt and the
Maliki regime at the time were backing him.

So, if Obama had drawn a red line, crossing that line would be a way to
call the West's bluff, thereby quelling any hopes of foreign intervention
against him. Indeed, looks like that's what happened. Obama did not have
the support -- nationally, internationally, or otherwise, to launch another
regime change operation, and it's doubtful that he even wanted to given
that his foreign policy has been characterized more by traditional
"realist" imperialism rather than neoconservatism.

- Amith

On Wed, Oct 28, 2015 at 10:48 PM, Mark Richey via Marxism <