#1 YOU MUST clip all extraneous text when replying to a message.
#2 This mail-list, like most, is publicly & permanently archived.
#3 Subscribe and post under an alias if #2 is a concern.

1. On HTS:

It does appear that relations between Turkey and HTS are currently hostile,
despite the fact that Turkish troops were accompanied by HTS forces when they
first entered Idlib province.

When SDF spokespeople said that "Jabhat al-Nusra" members participated in the
invasion of Afrin, I assumed they were referring to HTS. But perhaps they were
referring to former Nusra members recruited into Turkey's proxy forces.

In my most recent message I did not say that HTS is a Turkish proxy. I referred
to Ahrar al-Sham and Faylaq al-Sham as proxy forces

I did however describe HTS as reactionary and hostile to the democratic goals
of the 2011 revolution.

2. On speculation about a deal between the SDF and Assad:

I don't know what has been discussed between the SDF and the Assad regime.  But
it seems to me that the SDF would only agree to military cooperation if it
included action against the Turkish occupation of Afrin.

This would imply the breakdown of relations between the Assad regime and Turkey
- in other words, the end of the Astana agreement.

This has not happened up to now.  It is a hypothetical possibility that the SDF
might perhaps be exploring.

While unlikely, I would not rule it out completely.  Assad is probably not
entirely happy with Turkey's occupation of a significant amount of Syrian
territory.  If it appears that Erdogan wants to continue the occupation
indefinitely, Assad might try to use support for the SDF as a pressure tactic
to get him to withdraw.

Chris Slee