Congrats to everyone on a successful 1.2.1 -- there was a relatively
small influx of bug reports following it -- perhaps a sign of improving
quality?

In any event, as Phil Elson likes to repeatedly point out (<wink>), we
have a great deal of awesome new features in master that it would be
great to get out.  As for time frame, I think if we aim for a 1.3.0rc1
of May 27, that's within a good time frame to get something out in time
for Scipy.  That will put us about 8 months past 1.2.0, which is not far
off from my eventual goal of 6 month releases once things get
streamlined.  We can, of course, adjust the date as necessary as we go
along.

So... let the bug triaging begin!  As there are lot of new features in
the queue, I think it's important to distinguish the "nice to have" from
the "must have".  I've created a new milestone "1.3.x blocker" that we
should use for critical bugs that should hold up the release.  All other
new features that are looking close to ready for 1.3.x should be
milestoned 1.3.x, and as we get closer, we can punt those on to 1.4.x.
Simple bugs that apply to 1.2.x as well as master should be milestoned
as "1.2.x" and merged onto the "v1.2.x" branch (as we've been doing), as
I still think we should reserve the right to make another 1.2.2 bugfix
release if necessary.

There are a couple major ongoing projects that I think we'll need to get
to a steady interim state before we can make another release.

   MEP10: Documentation

      We already have a number of improved docstrings, and better
organization throughout.  I don't think we need to finish all of this
work before the next release, but we should get it back into shape so
that the doc build has fewer warnings (#1896) and the LaTeX build works
again (#1836).

   MEP12: Reorganize and cleanup examples

      Again, I think a lot of great work has already been done, and we
don't necessarily have to wait until it's done.

For both of the above, it would be nice to divide the work up so the
leaders of those projects are less individually burdened.  Nelle and
Tony, if you know of any critical blockers or loose ends that should be
tied up before a release should be made, please make issues for them and
milestone them as "1.3.x blocker".

Cheers,
Mike